Wednesday, April 9, 2008

stealin' thunder

me: hey, is lindsey Brown the one that lives in apartment 7? what is her last name?
Tori: Yes brown, yes number 7. Pourquoi?
me: networking.
blech
8:48 PM Tori: delightful. we talked about that in one of my classes, I hear it works wonders
8:49 PM me: so i heard.
Tori: How are you networking with Lindsey?
me: i'm not really into artificial networking, though. so this assignment is annoying.
8:50 PM it's this list i have to make for this teach for america internship i'm applying for
you have to make a list of people you know who would be a "good fit" for TfA, you know, to prove that you can network and meet people
i thought lindsey would be good because she taught english in china for a year and is cool
8:55 PM ps are you at the library now?
8:56 PM Tori: no. I am not going to the library tonight. I only got four hours of sleep last night, so I am rewarding myself with a day off (which will probably end up with another four hour or less night this week since that was the beginning of the craziness).
right now I am trying to turn our skiing into a meaningful experience that I can turn into a presenation
me: what, our skiing wasn't meaningful?
9:00 PM Tori: well, everyone has done these incredibly creative presentations. It has to be more than just a narrative--did you learn anything incredible or have ah ha moment whilst skiing?
9:01 PM me: well, i turn everything into metaphors for my life, but they are often stupid.
here is the skiiing one:
Tori: try me--
9:02 PM me: see, we were skiing and skiing and it was okay but i didn't get what the big deal was. it was like, whatever.
9:03 PM and i didn't particularly like it. and i was disappointed, because i heard it was fun, but it really turned out to be one of those activities that people say is fun and make a big deal out of how cool it is, but really it's only okay. like, if i died and never went skiing, then i wouldn't really care.
9:04 PM so then we played frisbee for awhile, and that was way better than okay. it was great! i love frisbee! i love running! i love tackling people! i love spitting! i love falling in the snow! i love diving to catch a frisbee!
Tori: maybe I should interview of each of you for your reaction.
9:05 PM me: it was really awesome. but you know, you can't do frisbee forever, and i got tired, and you just can't keep doing it past a certain point or it just becomes, 'eh, frisbee', and not 'frisbee!'
so iwas like, let's go skiing again.
9:07 PM and this time it was so fun! man, it was great, i really liked it. i loved it. it's one of those times, you know, where you can't think of anything else you'd rather do Right Then. and i thought, hey this skiing thing really is as great as everyone said it is.
...so guess what that is a metaphor for.
what part of my life, i mean.
9:08 PM Tori: Thanks that was amzing.
me: no, it wasn't and you didn't guess, you don't even know the metaphor yet!
9:09 PM Tori: well, okay I'm still waiting
me: guess!!!!
it'll be more fun.
Tori: umm...its never what you expect?
9:10 PM me: haha, no-ish.
dating.
i'm still in the frisbee stage.
9:13 PM Tori: sorry. but yeah, I don't I can quite use a literal translation of that quote since of the audience in my class.
or maybe I should?
9:14 PM me: um, what?
Tori: bcz of the individuals in my class.
9:15 PM me: because......they'll think i'm stupid?
it doesn't matter.
9:16 PM Tori: no because elliot is in my class
9:18 PM me: OoOoOoOoooooooh.
um......it probably still doesn't matter. i don't know if you would want to use it anyway because it is rather silly.
9:20 PM Tori: I liked all of it and probably will use it--maybe just not the comparison to dating, but I really like that. frisbee stage. fun.
9:21 PM me: yup. fun.
9:22 PM you can use the comparison to dating if it works well with whatever you want to say. it doesn't really matter--it's pretty vague enough that it would fit into whatever elliot already knows/assumes about why i am not dating/interseted in him
9:23 PM Tori: so...I think you are probably at the library for a reason. But we should continue this conversation later.
me: good idea.
but hey, do you know anymore people i can "network" with?
9:24 PM Tori: I would love to have a philosophical conversation revolving around frisbees. But for now, good luck with your homework.
9:25 PM me: okay, bye.
Tori: k bye.

No comments: